Speak to our dedicated Club Med travel advisors1800 258 263*toll free
Senegal African coasts and Middle East
CLUB MED CAP SKIRRING
27009 KABROUSSE Telephone: (221) 33 993 52 22 Fax: (221) 33 993 52 12
Senegal in briefSenegal in briefSenegal in brief
- Surface area: 196,712 sq km
- Capital: Dakar
- Official language: French is the official language, plus 6 national languages including Wolof (the biggest ethnic group in Senegal) and Diola (the largest ethnic group in the Casamance region)
- Currency: Frand CFA
- Religions: Islam (90%)
• Useful facts for your stay at Cap Skirring Club Med
- Main public holidays and events in Senegal
- in January: New Year (1 January)
- in February: Palm Wine Festival at Oussouye (during February)
- in March: Women’s Day (8 March)
- in April: Independance Day (4 April)
- in May: Labour Day (1 May) / Kankourang Mask Festival: before the mask is brought out, a sacrifice is made in honour of the ancestors (during May)
- in August: Assumption Day (15 August) / Fête du tirailleur sénégalais (celebration of the Senegalese infantrymen, 23 August)
- in September: the Kankourang, a mythical character whose vocation is to protect the young circumcised men, terrorizes the population (end of September) / Feast of the King of Oussouye (end of September or beginning of October).
• The calendar of Muslim religious festivals
Muslim festivals are calculated according to the Hegirian lunar calendar (Christian Easter is also calculated according to the moon). The dates vary from year to year.
- Tamkharit (Achoura) , the Muslim New Year, the moment when the Prophet Muhammed leaves the Mecca for Medina
- Maouloud (Gamou), birth of the Prophet
- Ramadan, the 9th month of the Muslim calendar, period of fasting and abstinence from sunrise to sunset
- Korité (Eid al-Fitr), marks the end of Ramadan
- Tabaski (Eid al-Adha), Feast of the Sacrifice, takes place 70 days after Ramadan
• Senegalese culinary specialities
- Starters: kandia soup (rice mixed with dried fish and minced meat)
- Dishes: thieboudienne (rice and fish), yassa (chicken or fish marinated in lime juice with spices), mafé (rice with rich peanut sauce; meat and vegetables are an optional ingredient), thiof is a very common Senegalese fish
- Desserts: yellow or green mangos, oranges, mandarins, grapefruit, dates, papaya, jujube, goyave, coconut, corossol
• Flora and fauna native to Senegal
- Flora: Casamance has many protected forests, considered as sacred sites, and many parks and nature reserves. Huge baobabs, kapok trees, eucalyptus and fruit trees including cashew trees
- Fauna: monkies, cameleons, porcupines, flying squirrels, giant pangolins, civets and reptiles, and some 200 species of birds...
• Shopping in Senegal
- Craftwork: ivory and wood sculptures, basketwork, traditional pottery, leather goods (bags, belts, wallets)…., gold, silver and bronze jewelry, printed cotton fabrics (known as “wax”), embroidered boubous
- Local produce: grilled, salted or sugared peanuts, cashew nuts
• A few useful Wolof expressions for your stay in Senegal
- Hello: salam alekum
- Goodbye: manguidem
- Thankyou: dieureudieuf
- Yes: waw or wao
- No: dédèt
- Please: su la neexee
Places of interest to discover in the area surrounding Cap Skirring Club Med
Make the most of your stay at Cap Skirring Club Med to discover the natural beauty and fascinating culture of the region.
In the extreme southwest of Senegal, in the Casamance region, Cap Skirring Club Med is located:
- close to the seaside resort of the same name.
- 6 km from Kabrousse, a small coastal village with typical Diola architecture
- 10 km north of Djembering, a farming village built on the dunes, surrounded by huge kapok trees, where the Sunday mass service is of particular interest
- 30 km from Oussoye, a quiet little town where Diola tradition is still present (in the celebrations and festivities)
- 80 km from Ziguinchor, the regional capital of Casamance.
The climate in Senegal
Senegal has a hot, dry climate throughout the year, and the temperature is never excessive. It is one of the countries in the world with the most days of sunshine per year. The rainy season is from June to September.
GMT time difference : 0
Météonews provides live weather news for this Resort and forecasts for the next 5 days.
Club Med is a great place to share with your friends and extended family
To book more than 6 guests, please call :
1300 855 052
Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM and 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturdays.