Speak to our dedicated Club Med travel advisors1300 855 052*toll free
El Gouna-Red Sea
Egypt African coasts and Middle East
CLUB MED EL GOUNA RED SEA
Telephone: (20) 65 354 79 34 Fax: (20) 65 354 79 33
Egypt in brief
- Surface area: 1,001,449 sq km
- Capital: Cairo
- Official language: the official language is Arabic, but the spoken language is Egyptian (an Arabic dialect)
- Currency: Egyptian pound
- Religions: Sunnite Muslim (90%), Christianism (9%) Useful facts for your stay at El Gouna Red Sea Club Med
● Main public holidays and events in Egypt
- in January: New Year (1 January) / Coptic Christmas (7 January) / Epiphany (19 January) / National Police Day (25 January)
- in February: Day of Unity (22 February)
- in March: Annunciation Day (mobile date) / Coptic Easter (between March and May) the most important Coptic celebration of the year / Cham-el-Nessim, Spring Festival (Coptic Easter Monday)
- in April: Sinai Liberation Day (25 April)
- in May: Labour Day (1 May)
- in June: Evacuation Day (18 June)
- in July: Revolution Day: anniversary of the 1952 Revolution (23 July)
- in October: Armed Forces Day (6 octobre) / Suez Day (24 October)
- in December: Victory Day (23 December).
● Calendar of Muslim religious festivals
Muslim festivals are based on the Hejira lunar calendar (Christian Easter is also based on the lunar calendar). The dates vary from one year to the next. Muslim New Year (Muharram) is the 1st day of the first month of the Hejira calendar. Achura is the 10th day of the month of Muharram (this commemoration does not have the same meaning for Shiite and Sunnite Muslims). Mouled-el-Nabi is the commemoration of the birth of the prophet a 2-day family holiday). Ramadan is the 9th month of the Muslim calendar, a period of fasting and abstinence, from sunrise to sunset. Eid al-Fitr is a 3-day celebration of the end of Ramadan Eid al-Adha the Feast of the Sacrifice, falls 70 days after Ramadan.
● Egyptian culinary specialities
Egyptian cuisine is based on the concept of the « mezze », with lots of dishes all brought to the table at the same time. So there is no real division between first and second courses, just a notion of specialities:
- Tehina (tahini and lemon paste), hummos (puree of chick peas with tahini) and baba ganoush (aubergine puree with tahini)
- Salata baladi (salad of cucumber, tomatoes and onions with or without lettuce), salata zabadi (mixture of yoghourt, garlic, cucumber and a hint of mint), taboule (bulgur salad with lemon, parsley and mint)
- Tumeyya (garlic puree with mayonnaise), torshi (pickled vegetables), and fried aubergines with garlic
- Foul (fava beans), koshari (mixture of rice, lentils and pasta with tomato sauce), wara’enab (stuffed vine leaves)
- Molokheyya (soup, served with rice and grilled chicken), shorbet ads (coral lentil soup)
- Meat: kebab (chunks of grilled lamb), shish kebab, kofta (minced lamb kebab on a skewer)
- Fish: samak (local fish), gambari (large shrimps)
- Desserts: Mehallabeyya (rice flour and rose water cream), om’ali (an Egyptian bread pudding with condensed milk and coconut)
● Flora and fauna in Egypt
Flora: lotus, papyrus, palm trees, tamari, acacia, jacaranda, poinciana, mangroves…
- Fauna: hundreds of species of birds, including storks, many species of mammals including camels, donkies and gazelles, snakes, scorpions
● Shopping in Egypt
- Craftwork: jewelry, leather, objects made of copper, brass and alabaster, cotton, papyrus, carpets, basketwork, blown glass
- Local produce and spices: cumin, coriander, pepper, curry, cardamon, saffron, aniseed, cloves, ginger, karkade, henna
● A few useful expressions for your stay in Egypt
- Hello (in the morning): sabah al-khair, to which you reply: sabah en nour
- Hello (in the afternoon): mesa al-khair, to which you reply: mesa en nour
- Goodbye: maa salama
- Thankyou: shukraan
- Yes: aiwa
- No: laa
Places of interest to discover in the area surrounding El Gouna Red Sea Club Med
Make the most of your stay at El Gouna Red Sea Club Med to discover the natural beauty and fascinating culture of the region.
El Gouna Red Sea Club Med is located:
- 2 km from the town of El Gouna, a seaside resort that dates from 1996; the town is spread over islands linked by lagoons, earning it the nickname: « the Little Venice of the Red Sea. Alongside its bars, restaurants and shops, there is a museum an aquarium and a Copte church, the Church of St Mary and the Archangels
- 25 km from Hurgada, a former fishing village that is now a charming seaside town with kilometres of white sand beaches. El Dahhar is all that remains of its historic past, with its colourful souks
- 300 km from Luxor, on the right bank of the River Nile. Luxor is one of Egypt’s major tourist sites.
The climate in Egypt
Located between the sea and the desert, the region has a dry and very sunny desert climate. In summer the temperatures are high during the day and at night. In winter the days are pleasant and nights cool.
GMT time difference : + 3 hours in summer
GMT time difference : + 2 hours in winter in Egypt, but only + 1 hour in the Village of El Gouna to take advantage of the sun for a long time every day.
Météonews provides live weather news for this Resort and forecasts for the next 5 days.
Club Med is a great place to share with your friends and extended family
To book more than 6 guests, please call :
1300 855 052
Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM and 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturdays.