Club Med, the pioneer of premium all-inclusive holidays, announces plans to open its first resort near Kota Kinabalu, the capital of Malaysia’s Sabah state, in the northern part of Borneo island late 2022.
Located at Kuala Penyu Beach – just 90-minutes’ drive from Kota Kinabalu International Airport – the premium all-inclusive Club Med resort with a Club Med Exclusive Collection space (5 Tridents Space) will offer a pristine paradise where virgin jungle meets idyllic powdery white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters.
Club Med is collaborating closely with owners Golden Sands Beach Resort City Sdn Bhd (GSBR) to create the brand’s first large-scale sustainably-built BREEAM-certified beach resort in Asia Pacific. This resort is Club Med’s second resort in Malaysia, after Club Med Cherating Beach, an eco-nature getaway located in Pahang.
Club Med Borneo Kota Kinabalu – an idyllic paradise surrounded by lush jungles and pristine beaches
With the international and modern millennial family in mind, Club Med Borneo Kota Kinabalu will provide a dynamic and wholesome experience that truly takes advantage of the resort’s unparalleled location. 41 acres of land flanked by tropical rainforests, fronted by kilometres of pristine beach with picture-perfect white sand, Club Med Borneo Kota Kinabalu’s convenient, exceptional location with unobstructed sunset views, is perfect for a destination getaway for families, friends, and couples.
The resort located next to a mangrove reserve will offer a plethora of activities that encourage guests to preserve the location’s natural beauty and discover local gems, including island hopping to the beautiful Pulau Tiga, a river ride that showcases Sabah’s diverse wildlife and ecosystem as well as an adrenaline-pumping white-water river rafting adventure. Guests can also immerse themselves in Borneo’s rich heritage through activities like evening dance shows, traditional rug and jewellery making, and interactive culinary classes and coffee tastings.
The resort design will be inspired by numerous traditional Borneo ethnic cultures while seamlessly integrating its structures with the surrounding rainforest. The resort will feature plenty of spaces that is interconnected with nature, using local and sustainably sourced natural materials.
Guests at the new resort will also be able to enjoy:
• 400 rooms – 360 spacious rooms across various categories for Club Med Premium Resort and 40 luxury suites for the Club Med Exclusive Collection space (5 Tridents Space)
• An all-day buffet restaurant serving international cuisines as well a “Gourmet Lounge”, an a la carte specialty restaurant that is included in Club Med’s all-inclusive offer
• Free-flow bar with integrated entertainment space showcasing Club Med’s signature circus and musical shows as well as a pool bar dedicated to the Exclusive Collection Space.
• Children’s Club facilities and dedicated services for kids of all ages (from 4 months to 17 years old)
• Full range of Club Med facilities, including up to 30 types of land and water sports activities, and excursions to discover Kota Kinabalu and Sabah (Romantically described as The Land Below the Wind).
“The Club Med spirit has always been to create new resorts that seamlessly blend into naturally beautiful locations and become discoverable bucket list destinations in their own right,” said Henri Giscard d’Estaing, President of Club Med. “Opening in Kuala Penyu allows us to showcase Sabah’s beautiful surroundings in a relatively undiscovered part of the world. This will be our second resort in Malaysia in a destination that is seeing increased airlift and interest from travellers across globe including China, Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand.”